St Cuthbert’s Children’s Centre is committed to working together to give the best start for young children. We endeavour to welcome and encourage everyone to reach their full potential by valuing and nurturing inspiration. By offering accessible and enriched opportunities that are fun, educational, empowering and exciting, we strive to build strong foundations for the future.
We provide a wide range of services for young children to include weekly fun activities for children and courses for adult learning too. We have a nursery for children aged 2-4 years led by early year’s teacher and highly qualified nursery practitioners. Our nursery is term time, Monday – Friday from 8:45am -3:15pm. We conduct a baseline assessment for each child, work in partnership with parents and support the child’s learning and development along the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Please feel free to call into the children’s centre. We have a café selling nutritious food at affordable prices, you and your child can enjoy our resourced book area during your visit. We have nappy changing facilities, free accessible car parking, café and toy and book area. We promote breastfeeding and welcome all breastfeeding mothers.
The centre is located next to St Cuthbert’s Academy school on Lightwood Avenue and can also be accessed via a small road at the side of the fire station on St Annes Road.
We provide a range of weekly services for you and your family to include:-
- Antenatal booking appointments
- Baby Group for children from birth to 18 months
- Toddler sessions with an emphasis on speech and language development. You can find out all about the Early Year’s Foundation Stage and obtain useful tips and handy hints to support your child’s early education and learning.
- Swimming classes for children from birth to 3 years: Book your child’s place on the Tiny Tadpoles swimming lessons. Your child will learn a useful skill and swimming is enjoyable and fun too!
- Speech and language events with advice for our speech and language therapists.
- Baby Massage from 8 weeks to 7 months: A four week baby massage course which helps promote sleep, reduces colic, helps with digestion and supports children’s development.
- Baby First Aid: All families with young babies can learn basic first aid training including how to deal with choking, resuscitation, burns and falls.
- Reading Corner: come along and enjoy our reading area with your child. Open every day (Monday – Friday). Fantastic books and lovely seating area.
- Alice’s Café: Come along and enjoy a nutritious meal at our café. Food is affordable and a healthy option menu is available (open Monday – Friday from 8:30am -1:00pm term-time).
- Childminder’s Group: If you are a child minder, come along to our group and enjoy the wide range of toys and educational resources.
- Breastfeeding: we run a weekly breastfeeding group for mum’s to come along to for a chat or for any feeding advice and information.
- Winning Ways: we run a rolling programme offering evidence based strategies to support parents around a wide range of issues such as bedtime routines, children’s tantrums, establishing good boundaries and offering ways of developing quality time with your child. This course if for all parents with children under 5 years of age. We offer a free crèche so that parents can come along to the course without having to worry about their child.
- Maths and English Courses: we run Maths and English courses on a rolling programme to support adults learning. There is a free crèche available to support parent to access the course.
- Crèche provision: We run crèches for courses listed above. Our crèche is run by qualified early year’s practitioners.
- Foster Carers Group: We run a weekly foster carers group for our local families.
- Initial Advice and Guidance Session: we run sessions for career options and training opportunities.
- Tiddly-om-pom-poms: We run a weekly musical activity for young children which is led by an early year’s teacher.
- Bouncing Babies: Drop in each week and have your baby weighed. A health visitor is available if you want to discuss any childcare concerns or for some information and advice.
- Happy Friday’s Group: Our weekly group is to support expectant or parents with children under 2 who are feeling emotional, low mood or anxious. We offer free counselling and support.
- Family Support: we run a family support service and can help you with any problems or concerns that you may have that is causing you to worry. Please pop in and ask to speak to one of our family support workers.
- Parent’s Forum: we have a parent forum that meet up each month. If you are interested to come along and have a say on activities and developments of the children’s centre, please come along to our next meeting. Telephone the centre on 01253 313201 for information.
- Volunteering Opportunities: If you would like to volunteer at our children’s centre please call for an application pack or pop into the children’s centre to collect. We offer volunteering placements within the nursery whilst you work toward qualifications in childcare and can offer opportunities to work with families and support in groups and activities. Enhanced DBS is required and full training will be given.
- Vitamins: We offer free vitamins to mothers and children under 5. Call in for your free supply today!
Our café provides nutritious meals at affordable prices. We have high chairs, nappy changing facilities and a toy and book area. We do weekly special deals and have a healthy options menu for you to choose from. We will cater for all dietary needs, just speak to our cook and she will be happy to oblige. Alice’s Café is open Monday-Friday from 8:30am -1pm term-time.